Friday, October 4, 2013




See a 3-question interview about me @ Blogging on the Side!

Answers to questions people have asked me:

Why Sunnyside Up-stairs?
I've spent most of my life living on the sunniest (leeward) side of the island of O'ahu, and then moved to the Sunshine State for a year, the birthplace of my husband and in 2010, our daughter. When I moved to Florida, I thought about how I've only lived in two of the "sunniest" and Southernmost states of the USA, so I made an e-mail newsletter for family and friends announcing our pregnancy called "Sunnyside Down." When we started gutting our first family home, just up-stairs of the Hawai'i home of my youth, "Sunnyside Up-stairs" seemed like a natural name for my newest adventure. :)

How did you learn to do everything you do?
I was a print media student in high school, and I created VHS documentaries for History Day with several teams of friends over 3 years. I have high-school level layout and design experience and 15 year old broadcast experience. Blogging is an entirely new adventure, though, and I am still learning so much. I learned HTML and CSS in high school as a hobby, and have now been re-learning it in adulthood.

As far as woodworking goes, my previous experiences with wood included gluing popsicle sticks together. When I decided I could and should hand-build things in our home, I had never used any of the power tools I know and love now. Over a period of a couple of years, I watched and noted some amazing blogger's posts, especially Ana White's. One day, I decided I was ready to give building a try. Sometimes I build with a plan, but most times I wing it based on what scrap or inexpensive deconstruction wood I have available. I never would have guessed that I would love building things, that I'd tackle furnishing our little apartment, or start a wood craft business, 'alawa. I probably would have been voted "Least Likely to Play Woodshop" in high school, no joke. Hah!

Some of my projects were featured on these gracious sites:


Magnetic Measurement Organizers - Here
Wood Louver Wainscoting - Here

"nourish" Crate - Here
ShiftCtrlART
Squared2 Dining Table - Here
Gold Dotted Pumpkin - Here
Tater Tots and Jello Feature
Squared2 Dining Table - Here
Gold Dotted Pumpkin - Here
I was featured on Remodelaholic
Squared2 Dining Table




Link Party @ Link Party Palooza 9

6 comments:

  1. Great interview! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your interview and your About page! One of my favorite things about blogging that I didn't even anticipate are the connections made. Mahalo for being one of my blogging friend connections, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful to have met you, Sharon! Truly a small world, and we can all benefit from spreading the aloha spirit! =D

      Delete
  3. Love the virtual postcard. Such an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D Thank you, Ashley. I was just having fun one day with PowerPoint and thought to try it out.

      Delete

Let's start a conversation. Seeing comments makes me want to do a jig. I love hearing from you, so please remember to leave your mark here. :)